Skip to main content

Stoudemire: Knicks are ready to compete in the East and at The O2!

The New York Knicks had an indifferent season in 2013/14 with the team failing to reach the play-offs.

However the re-signing of Carmelo Anthony gave the team an off-season boost as they look to bounce back from what they must regard as a disappointing campaign.

The Knicks face the Milwaukee Bucks at The O2 Arena in January as part of the NBA Global Games and ahead of tickets going on sale on October 31st, Amar'e Stoudemire spoke to the media.

Stoudemire was in confident mood as he spoke of the positivity around the Knicks camp, with the new NBA season starting today.

He said: "I'm truly blessed to play this game at the highest level, my goal is to improve as a player and reach my full potential, it's been my goal since I was 19 years old and i'm still striving to achieve that."


"We're focusing on becoming a better basketball team and everything is going well."

"There's a sign of respect there [with new coach Derek Fisher) as players we are tuned in to making his job easier."

"I would love to say we're going to start off great this season but you never know, for the most part, we're putting forward the effort, I feel after a few weeks we should be improving."

The Knicks played at The O2 Arena a few years ago when they beat the Detroit Pistons with an MVP performance from Stoudemire's teammate Anthony.

And the 6-time NBA All-star is looking forward to playing with Carmelo again this season and at The O2 next year.

He said: "Having Carmelo re-sign is a positive as now we have our top scorer back with us."

"I enjoy playing in London, I wish we could play there every single season, it's the commissioners job to deal with that but I enjoy playing here."

"We're coming to win, we want to have fun, enjoy the town and the people, our main objective is to win."

What about a potential NBA franchise in London? Well Stoudemire believes if the audience is there it could well be a possibility.

He said: "I'm sure the commissioner is taking a look at how the fans appreciate it and hopefully if it keeps growing, we'll see what happens."

The Milwaukee Bucks host the New York Knicks at The O2 in London on Jan. 15 as part of the NBA Global Games London 2015. Tickets go on sale Oct. 31 at www.theo2.co.uk/nba2015

The NBA starts tonight with the first week available free via NBA League Pass

You can also watch live NBA games on BT Sport and ESPN in the UK!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birmingham Knights sign up Lewis

The Birmingham Knights have continued to build their squad ahead of their debut season in the BBL with the signing of Ryan Lewis. The forward spent the last two seasons at the Leicester Warriors but has joined the Birmingham-based franchise where he was born. Lewis has played at England u16 level and will now be trying his hand with the Knights in the BBL. He said: 'We've been working hard during training and in the gym and it hasn't been easy but it's worth it and it will show when we step onto the court.' 'I'm pleased Birmingham has a team and even happier that I can help put this city on our back and battle over the next season.' 'I just want to make my soon to be born daughter and this city that I love proud.' Coach Douglas of the BBL Knights has been a long-time admirer of the new star. He said: 'I've been looking at Ryan since I was offered the role of Head Coach and I'm looking forward to seeing him develop durin

Kendal Johnson wants to ball in the BBL

Kendal Johnson is an American who wants to play in England in a busy week where he is likely to find out where he will be playing and when. Johnson is the cousin of NBA star Marcus Camby and is looking to be a player/coach in the British Basketball League or English Basketball League. He admits he doesn't know too much about the current state of British basketball but has heard good things. He said: 'I've always wanted to go to England but I don't know a lot about the basketball league, I have a friend at the Worcester Wolves and he has told me there is lot's of positives.' 'I've played basketball since I was little obviously having Marcus Camby as a cousin I was always in that sort of environment.' Johnson revealed he had been in talks with various BBL and EBL clubs and is hoping a move can be agreed in the coming days. He also thinks that it is important to get young people involved in sport. He added: 'One thing I would like to

The history making British sportswomen...that no one is talking about.

This summer has so far been an incredible one for women’s football, with huge audiences for England women’s fixtures as the lionesses roared to the semi-finals of the FIFA Women’s World Cup. Coverage of the finals has been unprecedented, with back page stories in British newspapers across the tournament and a record peak of 7.6  million people watching England destroy Norway 3-0 in the quarter-finals live on BBC One. One tournament that hasn’t even made it onto the red button this summer is the FIBA Women's EuroBasket 2019. In fact, I imagine when you have read your newspaper of choice this morning, there may have been just a short Twitter-length article on GB Basketball creating history by reaching the quarter-finals of Women’s EuroBasket for the first time. No one is talking about how Temi Fagbenle managed a 29-point haul in a comprehensive 92-71 win against Montenegro. Nothing about the quarter-final tie against Hungary later this week. No real mention of poten