Skip to main content

EDWARDS: Where It All Began

Where it all began.....

I had first been introduced to US sports when Channel 4 in the UK started showing American Football and I saw my first of 30 Super Bowls in January 1986 when the Chicago Bears blew out the New England Patriots (Patriots are a far cry from that team back then).

Then I was channel surfing on a Saturday one night a few years later and came across Basketball on BBC 1. This wasn't the British League but a professional league in the United States. You have to remember this was a time when you didn't have the various means to keep up with sports like we can today so I wasn't even aware of such a league. The BBC showed a weekly programme from memory of the NBA Playoffs and I became hooked. I didn't pick a team to root for straight away but I began to really enjoy watching the likes of Magic (Johnson), (Larry) Bird and Michael (Jordan). There was something about MJ and it became a natural thing for me to root for the team he played for much like many kids in Chicago and all over North America. The Chicago Bulls were a popular team and Jordan was an elite athlete playing this game like no other.

It wasn't until the late 1980's, early 1990's that I saw more than just the playoffs in the NBA. My parents had decided to get Satellite Television and there was a channel on that called Screensport which showed a lot of US sports and satisfied my thirst for watching more NBA. Alongside this was a company based in Switzerland called Pontel (which is still around today but has become a less common way to get games due to the advent of NBA League Pass). Pontel would sell videotapes of NBA games and mail them all over the world outside of North America and they became a great source for me to add to my growing interest in a game I would love to this day.

The Jordan dominated Bulls era of the 1990's was a fun time to be a Basketball fan whether it be in the UK or anywhere else in the world, as the popularity of Jordan continued to grow with each growing game. The Dream Team playing at the 1992 Olympics only added to the worldwide appeal of the NBA. NBA stars would also come over to Europe for the McDonalds Open, which featured an NBA team every season against the very best European Teams.

Fast forward to today and we can now watch any game we want to with the advent of League Pass. It has meant that I haven't missed a Bulls game in almost 8 seasons. Whilst this has meant some late nights, it has been worth every bit of those sleepless nights.

Even after all these years my love for the game has never died and I love the game as much now as I did back then. I am fortunate enough to be able to cover a sport I have a great passion for and it has afforded me some great opportunities, which I am truly thankful.

This is a season that is incredibly wide open and may very well see a team win the NBA Finals that hasn't done so before. Sit back and enjoy what will be a wild ride as we head to the playoffs and the intensity will increase further when we reach that point.

You can find me on Twitter @StevenFTUK



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birmingham Knights sign up Lewis

The Birmingham Knights have continued to build their squad ahead of their debut season in the BBL with the signing of Ryan Lewis. The forward spent the last two seasons at the Leicester Warriors but has joined the Birmingham-based franchise where he was born. Lewis has played at England u16 level and will now be trying his hand with the Knights in the BBL. He said: 'We've been working hard during training and in the gym and it hasn't been easy but it's worth it and it will show when we step onto the court.' 'I'm pleased Birmingham has a team and even happier that I can help put this city on our back and battle over the next season.' 'I just want to make my soon to be born daughter and this city that I love proud.' Coach Douglas of the BBL Knights has been a long-time admirer of the new star. He said: 'I've been looking at Ryan since I was offered the role of Head Coach and I'm looking forward to seeing him develop durin

Kendal Johnson wants to ball in the BBL

Kendal Johnson is an American who wants to play in England in a busy week where he is likely to find out where he will be playing and when. Johnson is the cousin of NBA star Marcus Camby and is looking to be a player/coach in the British Basketball League or English Basketball League. He admits he doesn't know too much about the current state of British basketball but has heard good things. He said: 'I've always wanted to go to England but I don't know a lot about the basketball league, I have a friend at the Worcester Wolves and he has told me there is lot's of positives.' 'I've played basketball since I was little obviously having Marcus Camby as a cousin I was always in that sort of environment.' Johnson revealed he had been in talks with various BBL and EBL clubs and is hoping a move can be agreed in the coming days. He also thinks that it is important to get young people involved in sport. He added: 'One thing I would like to

Johnson bringing HoopsAid the American Dream Team.

Kendal Johnson recently spoke to us about the possibility of playing in England and while he may not be playing full-time he is set to play at least one game. Johnson will be representing America at HoopsAid, a charity basketball match in the style of soccer aid - featuring players, celebrities and in this case battle back players. Kendal is looking forward to the opportunity to compete in the Copper Box with some of the stars Britain and HoopsAid have to offer. He said: 'This HoopsAid event is going to be very exciting, this will be my first time in London and I'm nervous and exciting at the same time, I'm just ready to play.' 'Giving back to the community is very important to me and I think HoopsAid gives my the opportunity which is good for me and good for them.' 'I'm excited to be playing in the Copper Box arena, It's where they had some of the Olympics so I'm looking forward to that.' Johnson won't be taking it lightly