Skip to main content

WOOLDRIDGE: Road to Rio

(This is a guest blog from David Wooldridge who will be commentating on the European Wheelchair Basketball Championships)
I know people say don’t have regrets, but one of the biggest regrets in my career so far, was missing the boat on the London 2012 hype. The time when it seems from looking at other people’s careers, there were LOADS of presenting, announcing and commentary opportunities.
Well luckily for me I’ll be having my ‘2012 moment’ soon. As somehow I’ve been selected as part of the commentary team for the upcoming European Wheelchair Basketball Championships, which acts as a qualifier for the Rio 2016 Paralympics, so yeah A BIG DEAL.
Euro Logo
This huge event also happens to be where I spend most of my Friday nights between September & April, “The University of Worcester Areennnnaaaaa!” Which makes it a little bit more special for me, as it’s in my home town and in a venue I owe a lot of my career to.
I may not be living out 10 year old me’s dream of being the 2nd ever wrestling Olympic gold medalist, (Coming for you Kurt Angle). But this is the closest I’ll ever be to it! And more importantly this event will make up for my, “Pfftt its only the Olympics” attitude back in 2012.
It’s kind of a weird ‘Disney-ish’ full circle of my career so far too. Commentating on a EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIP in the same venue where I first stepped out to announce and… well did a terrible job to be frank.
Uni ArenaWhilst I’m still ‘breaking the glass ceiling’ in TV & Radio presenting, I really feel that in the sports announcing & commentary world I’m starting to make a name for myself, (He says before messing up at the event). Which I completely owe to basketball in general and to the fantastic athletes, of which I’m allowed to be part of their ‘show’, their the ones delivering and giving me something to do!
Unfortunately I won’t be commentating on this event as much as I would like to, due to other ‘bits & bobs’ (Might tell you about them soon…), but I’m just happy to be a part of the whole shaa-bang to be honest!Team GB
Ooo by the way, guess what I’m REALLY looking forward to? I’ve looked at my announcing schedule, I’ve got a Team GB game to commentate! *Air Fist Pump *
So here’s hoping I don’t let Great Britain down, or our paralympians. And that I can commentate them to victory, onward to Rio 2016!
Lets also hope our European counterparts can understand my Farmer-Brummie-Southern accent too…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birmingham Knights sign up Lewis

The Birmingham Knights have continued to build their squad ahead of their debut season in the BBL with the signing of Ryan Lewis. The forward spent the last two seasons at the Leicester Warriors but has joined the Birmingham-based franchise where he was born. Lewis has played at England u16 level and will now be trying his hand with the Knights in the BBL. He said: 'We've been working hard during training and in the gym and it hasn't been easy but it's worth it and it will show when we step onto the court.' 'I'm pleased Birmingham has a team and even happier that I can help put this city on our back and battle over the next season.' 'I just want to make my soon to be born daughter and this city that I love proud.' Coach Douglas of the BBL Knights has been a long-time admirer of the new star. He said: 'I've been looking at Ryan since I was offered the role of Head Coach and I'm looking forward to seeing him develop durin

Kendal Johnson wants to ball in the BBL

Kendal Johnson is an American who wants to play in England in a busy week where he is likely to find out where he will be playing and when. Johnson is the cousin of NBA star Marcus Camby and is looking to be a player/coach in the British Basketball League or English Basketball League. He admits he doesn't know too much about the current state of British basketball but has heard good things. He said: 'I've always wanted to go to England but I don't know a lot about the basketball league, I have a friend at the Worcester Wolves and he has told me there is lot's of positives.' 'I've played basketball since I was little obviously having Marcus Camby as a cousin I was always in that sort of environment.' Johnson revealed he had been in talks with various BBL and EBL clubs and is hoping a move can be agreed in the coming days. He also thinks that it is important to get young people involved in sport. He added: 'One thing I would like to

The history making British sportswomen...that no one is talking about.

This summer has so far been an incredible one for women’s football, with huge audiences for England women’s fixtures as the lionesses roared to the semi-finals of the FIFA Women’s World Cup. Coverage of the finals has been unprecedented, with back page stories in British newspapers across the tournament and a record peak of 7.6  million people watching England destroy Norway 3-0 in the quarter-finals live on BBC One. One tournament that hasn’t even made it onto the red button this summer is the FIBA Women's EuroBasket 2019. In fact, I imagine when you have read your newspaper of choice this morning, there may have been just a short Twitter-length article on GB Basketball creating history by reaching the quarter-finals of Women’s EuroBasket for the first time. No one is talking about how Temi Fagbenle managed a 29-point haul in a comprehensive 92-71 win against Montenegro. Nothing about the quarter-final tie against Hungary later this week. No real mention of poten