Skip to main content

Team GB take on Puerto Rico (mini-preview)

GB Basketball are back! The Copper Box will be hosting a pre-tournament friendly against Puerto Rico ahead of Eurobasket 2013.

It hasn't been a straight forward journey into the fixture with NBA stars Joel Freeland and Luol Deng unavailable, Byron Mullens and Ben Gordon once again failing to show and Pops Mensah-Bonsu also becoming unavailable.

This will leave GB's squad heavily reliant on Andrew Sullivan, who is the most experienced member of the squad.

New coach Joe Prunty has been thrown into the deep end with many household names not in the squad he must cope with what he has.

The likes of Orlan Jackman - who recently departed the London Lions, Liam Potter, Jamell Anderson and Ali Fraser will be looking to impress.

There will be a lot riding on the fixture with funding for the sport over the next few years up in the air and based on performance.

Puerto Rico has a strong team and are currently ranked 4 places above GB in the FIBA World Rankings.

The game takes place on Sunday at the Copper Box with more information available here: http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/great-britain-mens-vs-puerto-rico-london-11-08-2013/event/35004AD2C01D6B96?artistid=5104923&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=7.

We will be at the game follow us @UK_BBHUB for the latest, we will have a review and player rating, following the game.

The event will be streamed on the GB Basketball website, there will be an exhibition match showcasing team Help For Heroes and the GB Wheelchair Basketball team ahead of the main event.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birmingham Knights sign up Lewis

The Birmingham Knights have continued to build their squad ahead of their debut season in the BBL with the signing of Ryan Lewis. The forward spent the last two seasons at the Leicester Warriors but has joined the Birmingham-based franchise where he was born. Lewis has played at England u16 level and will now be trying his hand with the Knights in the BBL. He said: 'We've been working hard during training and in the gym and it hasn't been easy but it's worth it and it will show when we step onto the court.' 'I'm pleased Birmingham has a team and even happier that I can help put this city on our back and battle over the next season.' 'I just want to make my soon to be born daughter and this city that I love proud.' Coach Douglas of the BBL Knights has been a long-time admirer of the new star. He said: 'I've been looking at Ryan since I was offered the role of Head Coach and I'm looking forward to seeing him develop durin

Kendal Johnson wants to ball in the BBL

Kendal Johnson is an American who wants to play in England in a busy week where he is likely to find out where he will be playing and when. Johnson is the cousin of NBA star Marcus Camby and is looking to be a player/coach in the British Basketball League or English Basketball League. He admits he doesn't know too much about the current state of British basketball but has heard good things. He said: 'I've always wanted to go to England but I don't know a lot about the basketball league, I have a friend at the Worcester Wolves and he has told me there is lot's of positives.' 'I've played basketball since I was little obviously having Marcus Camby as a cousin I was always in that sort of environment.' Johnson revealed he had been in talks with various BBL and EBL clubs and is hoping a move can be agreed in the coming days. He also thinks that it is important to get young people involved in sport. He added: 'One thing I would like to

Johnson bringing HoopsAid the American Dream Team.

Kendal Johnson recently spoke to us about the possibility of playing in England and while he may not be playing full-time he is set to play at least one game. Johnson will be representing America at HoopsAid, a charity basketball match in the style of soccer aid - featuring players, celebrities and in this case battle back players. Kendal is looking forward to the opportunity to compete in the Copper Box with some of the stars Britain and HoopsAid have to offer. He said: 'This HoopsAid event is going to be very exciting, this will be my first time in London and I'm nervous and exciting at the same time, I'm just ready to play.' 'Giving back to the community is very important to me and I think HoopsAid gives my the opportunity which is good for me and good for them.' 'I'm excited to be playing in the Copper Box arena, It's where they had some of the Olympics so I'm looking forward to that.' Johnson won't be taking it lightly