Skip to main content

National Paralympic Day 2013

People from all over the country came together, to celebrate National Paralympic Day 2013. A showcase of Paralympic sport, a tribute to the success of London 2012 and a chance for people who haven't been involved in Paralympic sport to join in.

The Olympic and Paralympic spirit from London's successful games around 12 months ago was evidently on display with a large crowd coming to contribute to and feed off the spirit of the games.

There were various events throughout the day, with Bocia, Table Tennis and Sitting Volleyball all on display to a packed out Copper Box.

The final event of the day was the Wheelchair Basketball - an exhibition women's match between GB and Spain, which saw a near capacity crowd and brought people from all over - from Spain to Surrey.

The Mayor Of London Boris Johnson received a Paralympic Order medal given to him by Rita Van Driel a member of the International Paralympic Committee. Both described the Paralympic games as 'the greatest ever held.'

But the real stars of this day were the Paralympians, who put on a showcase for the thousands of people who had turned out to embrace the sport that some of them hadn't seen before.

It was an amazing chance for fans, media and athletes to come together and build on the events on the previous year, to help the legacy continue surrounded by memories, talking to legends, remembering the dream which came a reality.

For more information on the day itself, click HERE.

For more information on Wheelchair Basketball click HERE.

To feel the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, watch THIS!



Tweets from the day:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ROUTLEDGE: "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it
I’m Daniel Routledge and for as long as I can remember I’ve been watching British basketball. I’m not quite as old as the league, but its close enough we could be siblings. We pretty much grew up together, I’ve seen the highs and the lows, the false dawns and the unnoticed successes. 
Much has been made in recent days about the future of the game in this country, so much so it’s got me thinking about the past.
Whatever your views about the road from here, allow me ten minutes of your time to re-live how we got here.
In the beginning
The first national league of basketball was formed in 1972, in those early days it was a largely amateur pursuit, played out in small sports halls. It was before I was born, but I’ve seen minutes of AGMs where players were reprimanded for not personally selling enough tickets!
By the end of the decade, the structure became a bit more professional and as the 1980s began,the popularity started to boom. …

Kendal Johnson wants to ball in the BBL

Kendal Johnson is an American who wants to play in England in a busy week where he is likely to find out where he will be playing and when.

Johnson is the cousin of NBA star Marcus Camby and is looking to be a player/coach in the British Basketball League or English Basketball League.

He admits he doesn't know too much about the current state of British basketball but has heard good things.

He said: 'I've always wanted to go to England but I don't know a lot about the basketball league, I have a friend at the Worcester Wolves and he has told me there is lot's of positives.'

'I've played basketball since I was little obviously having Marcus Camby as a cousin I was always in that sort of environment.'

Johnson revealed he had been in talks with various BBL and EBL clubs and is hoping a move can be agreed in the coming days.

He also thinks that it is important to get young people involved in sport.

He added: 'One thing I would like to say to kids is…

Johnson bringing HoopsAid the American Dream Team.

Kendal Johnson recently spoke to us about the possibility of playing in England and while he may not be playing full-time he is set to play at least one game.

Johnson will be representing America at HoopsAid, a charity basketball match in the style of soccer aid - featuring players, celebrities and in this case battle back players.

Kendal is looking forward to the opportunity to compete in the Copper Box with some of the stars Britain and HoopsAid have to offer.

He said: 'This HoopsAid event is going to be very exciting, this will be my first time in London and I'm nervous and exciting at the same time, I'm just ready to play.'

'Giving back to the community is very important to me and I think HoopsAid gives my the opportunity which is good for me and good for them.'

'I'm excited to be playing in the Copper Box arena, It's where they had some of the Olympics so I'm looking forward to that.'

Johnson won't be taking it lightly and will be t…